Position Title: Packer
Reports To: Production Supervisor
Location: McAllen, TX
SUMMARY OF THE JOB
Provides support to Machine Operators by packing quality approved wicket packets. The Packer will be mobile, moving from machine to machine packing, sealing boxes, stacking on skids, and removing the completed skid to a staging area.
- Read and review Job Order to effectively identify which box size is required for the specific bag being produced at that machine. Builds boxes, creating a supply available for packing complete product that has met quality standards, in preparation for Shipping & Receiving department.
- Replenishes available boxes as needed along the production line with the appropriate treated or untreated pallet, depending on the job.
- Maintain momentum, as being amply mobile is required, employee will travel from machine to machine completing designated tasks as per supervisors’ instructions.
- Communicate with supervisors on urgent matter that require immediate attention. The Packer may be asked to work on small short-term projects.
- Responsible for Closing Out Documents ei: Job Orders and Completed Skids; will be responsible for printing and reviewing print box labels according to orders in preparation for the Shipping & Receiving department.
- Must be able to work flexible rotating shift schedule every four (4) weeks.
- Practice personal safety and follow all area safety practices and procedures.
- Responsible for quality in all aspects of work and ensuring customer specifications are met. Demonstrate initiative and a sense of urgency in fulfilling customer orders in support of all company business.
- Must use timekeeping system to record all hours worked. Ensure any missed punches, vacation requests, sick days, or overtime authorization forms are approved by a supervisor or manager and submitted to the HR/Payroll Clerk in compliance with company payroll processing deadlines.
- Comply with all company policies, practices and procedures.
- Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
- Perform other duties as requested.
Receives close supervision related to specific work activities, assignments, methods, etc; usually receives frequent surveillance over job activities; instructions are detailed, and assignments are typically short-term.
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
This position requires less than a high school education and three (3) months related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Employee must be able to work in a team environment. Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a cooperative attitude. Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks. Job requires being reliable, responsible and dependable. Employee must be able to stand for long periods of time and lift up to 50 lbs. Employee must know how to read a tape measure and use various hand tools.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out simple one or two step instructions. Ability to deal with standardized situations with only occasional or no variables.
Ability to add and subtract two-digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume and distance.
Ability to read a limited number of two and three syllable words and to recognize similarities and differences between words and between series of numbers. Ability to print and speak simple sentences. Ability to follow visual and oral instructions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Well-lighted, heated but not climate controlled indoor shop environment/production setting with adequate ventilation. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. The employee will work in extreme heat in the summer and cold in the winter. The employee will be exposed to dust particles, fumes and vibration. The employee will be working around moving mechanical machinery. Job requires wearing common protective or safety equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job requires moderate physical activity performing somewhat strenuous daily activities of a primarily production/technical nature. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, bend, lift and carry material up to 50 lbs. Job requires repeating the same physical activities over and over. The employee must have manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, work with the fingers and perceive the attributes of objects and materials. The employee is required to move hands, hands together with arms, or two hands to grasp, manipulate or position objects. The employee must bend, stretch, twist, or reach with body, arms, and/or legs. The employee is required to time movements or the movement of a piece of equipment in anticipation of changes in the speed and/or direction of a moving object. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into focus.
Normal work week is 40 hours, Monday-Friday. Employees may be required to work overtime, weekends and/or to alter daily schedule to meet the needs of the business. Employees must be able to work first, second, or third shift, on a (4) week rotating schedule as announced by Management.
Disclaimer: Although Fox Packaging has attempted to accurately and thoroughly describe this position, Fox Packaging reserves the right to change the same, including to change, add to or subtract from the duties outlined, within the sole discretion of Fox Packaging, at any time, with or without advance notice.